Monday, November 11, 2019

Catching Up

In case you don't follow me on social media, I thought I'd give you an update on what I've been doing.


*For the holiday of Sukes/Sukkot, I wrote about the magic of the pitom in Yiddish literature
*The Jewish Chronicle published a truly nonsensical attack on Yiddler and the Yiddish language. I wrote a response for Haaretz. 
*I scratched just the very top layer of the topic of non-Jews in Yiddish
*We dove into post-Revolution Russia and the pogroms that changed Jewish history forever and set the stage for the Holocaust
*Do you hate October and pink themed merchandise as much as I do? Then read this op-ed I wrote for JTA
and finally... 
*I reviewed French journalist Piotr Smolar's new memoir about three generations of his family, <<MAUVAIS JUIF>>. I was most interested in his grandfather, Hersh Smolar, known to Yiddishists as the long time editor of the Warsaw Folks-shtime and the man who 'broke' the story of Kruschev's secret speech and the decimation of Yiddish culture in the Stalinist era. Hersh's biography is still waiting to be written.

No comments:

Post a Comment