Saturday, March 13, 2021

Jewlia Eisenberg and the Music of the Spheres

(read more about the new-old Yiddish rituals of mourning in my latest column

A few days ago we got the terrible news that Jewlia Eisenberg was avek in der eybikayt, she had passed into the next world. It's always a tragedy when someone is cut down in their prime. It hurts even more to lose an artist like Jewlia. More than just talented, she was a force of nature; a holy vessel of song; a generous, optimistic, expansive soul. I felt so lucky every time I got to be with her. My heart and my thoughts are with her partner, AnMarie, and the rest of her family....

I had first seen Jewlia and Charming Hostess at Tonic, some time in the early 2000s. I was immediately smitten with her, her music, and the incredible musicians she worked with. I had never heard anything like this. I didn't even have the words to describe what they were doing. How often can you say that?

On one of Jewlia's visits to New York she visited me at the law firm where I worked. This was probably sometime around 2014 or 2015. We had lunch in the fancy firm cafeteria, sitting by the wraparound windows, where you could eat your panini and enjoy the view of Fox News HQ. I remember Jewlia telling me about her work as a ritual facilitator and officiant in the Bay Area, a world away from midtown. Though I rolled my eyes at the thought of getting too into god, by the end of our lunch, I was making plans to fly to Oakland just to be able to pray with her and her khevre.  

Even after we had become friends, I remained a dedicated Jewlia superfan. I was sitting front row, of course, at this 2013 show at Barbes, where I took this picture.

Jewlia at Barbes in 2013 


Jewlia was one of the very first artists I profiled as a journalist. I wrote about her in my Rootless Cosmopolitan column in Jewish Currents in 2006. (Apparently not available online)





I'm still trying to get my mind around losing her. I knew she was sick and had been for a very long time. And yet. In a year which has seen such unbearable loss, losing Jewlia feels especially unbearable.

How painfully apt then, that my last column ended up being delayed, coming out the day after we learned the news about Jewlia's passing. The topic was the one year anniversary of the pandemic, and Yiddish rituals of grief and mourning. For this column, I learned about the skilled mourning women of Ashkenaz, the klogmuters, who wailed and ripped their clothes and performed grief for the community. 
I interviewed my friends who are researching and reclaiming the practice of feldmestn, the ritual measurement of a graveyard with string and use that string to make neshome likht (soul candles). 

Like the badkhns, the klogmuters' wailing work consisted of variations on established themes and set patterns. With her work as a ritual facilitator, and her interest in women's poetry, I think Jewlia would have been fascinated by the functional poetry of the klogmuters. All we can do now, though, is wail in her memory, the best we can.


No comments:

Post a Comment